Everybody says that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. After all, breakfast is what fuels our bodies and brains to ensure that we can perform at our jobs, at school, or taking care of the kids. Think of your body as a car – you need to give it fuel in order for it to run properly. Eating a nutritious breakfast gets your metabolism moving, it can help regulate blood sugar and help to keep you from overeating later on in the day.
But sometimes our morning routines are so rushed, it’s easy to settle for a less than ideal breakfast. So many options are filled with sugars, preservatives, and other unnecessary ingredients; sometimes it seems easier to just skip breakfast altogether.
So let us propose a solution for you: smoothies are a quick, easy way to get a healthy breakfast, even on your busiest mornings.
However, if you’re a newbie, putting together the perfect smoothie can be daunting – nobody wants to ruin their breakfast on a busy Monday morning. And if you’re a smoothie veteran, chances are you’ve been making the same smoothie for a while now. We think it’s time to shake things up.
We typically take the same approach with smoothies as we do with our products…the simpler, cleaner and more nutritious, the better.
Take an hour on Sunday or a few minutes before bed the night before to prep all of your ingredients. Place one serving (or more depending on how many you’re feeding) in a Ziploc bag and stick it in the freezer. Then when you wake up all you have to do is dump everything in the blender, blend, and you’re good to go.
Try some of our favorite smoothie combos:
- Blueberry Banana: 3 Tbsp hemp hearts or other unsweetened protein powder, 1c water, ½ banana, ½c blueberries, 2 handfuls spinach, 1 Tbsp almond butter, splash of apple cider vinegar
- Berries & Cream: 3 Tbsp hemp hearts or other unsweetened protein powder, 1c coconut milk, ½ banana, 2 handfuls spinach or kale, ¼c each raspberries, strawberries, cherries, 1 Tbsp peanut butter or almond butter
- Green Elixir: 3 Tbsp hemp hearts or other unsweetened protein powder, 1c water, ½ banana, 2 handfuls spinach, ½ avocado, 1 carrot, 1 celery stalk, ½ granny smith apple, 2 mushrooms
- Raspberry Mango: 3 Tbsp hemp hearts or other unsweetened protein powder, 1c water, ½ banana, 2 handfuls spinach, ¼c raspberries, ¼c chopped mangoes, 1 Tbsp almond butter, ¼c shredded coconut
- Cacao Coffee: 3 Tbsp hemp hearts or other unsweetened protein powder, 1c cold brew coffee, ½ banana, 1 Tbsp organic cacao powder, 1 Tbsp maple syrup, splash of coconut milk